Plug-in Baby

Hi! Welcome to my “Blog”. This semester I will be showcasing my weekly ideas, struggles, and accomplishments in my attempt to create my own plug-in for my Music & Technology II class.

Week 1 (1/13/2020)

Some Preliminary Ideas:

Week 2 (1/20/2020)

Some academic papers that interested me from the International Computer Music Association:

Week 3 (1/27/2020)

What I’m Working On:

  • Making a plug-in for Ableton with Max
  • Figuring out Max – Self learning/Youtube process, similar to Pd in the way that it’s structured
  • The Prototype – Take in samples, alter them (through rhythm, pitch, etc. not sure yet)
  • Third link from last week is closest to what I’m aiming for.

What’s Blocking Me/What I Need to Do:

  • Cont. learning Max
  • The details of what I want my plugin to do
  • I just need to start prototyping and create something by next class.
  • Is Magenta (from google) something that I want to consider?
  • Download trial for a full version of Max
Image result for puredata memes
how Pd makes me feel 🙂 lost n confused

side note:

Video that i saw:

^Youtuber who does sound design for games, made a plug in (called Tiramisu) with max for live that randomly samples samples. — just interesting

Week 4 (2/3/2020)

What I Did This Week:

  • I’ve learned a lot more about Max 8, from its limitations to workflow
  • I’ve started to flesh out the details for what I specifically want to do with my plugin.
  • I’ve been looking at other peoples patches on for some inspiration on what I want my plugin to do.
  • Euclidean Rhythms!!

What the heck is a Euclidean Rhythm?!?!?

the man, the myth, the legend: Euclid!!!

Euclid was a famous mathematician, often called the “founder of geometry”, so what does he have to do with my plugin idea? Well, one of Euclid’s many discoveries was that of an Algorithm for efficiently computing the greatest common divisor of two numbers, often referred to as the Euclid’s algorithm. How does this relate to rhythm though…

When creating a Euclidean rhythm we need to imagine some periodical rhythm, and in most cases this is visualized as a circle, with a clock-like hand that moves around the circle at a specific speed. For the sake of simplicity, we can visualize our first example as just a clock with a single hand. If we want to make a rhythm out of this clock we could do something like: every time the hour hand passes  over a number on our clock we play a sound. This could be a drum hit, strum of a guitar, a sample, whatever, but we just do it every single time our hour hand passes over a big number on our clock. Since our clock is from 1 to 12, we will play our sound 12 times every 12 hours. So to spice stuff up let’s set the period of our clock to something significantly faster, like 12 hits every 12 seconds. Now if you can picture this in your head, the hand of the clock is doing one full rotation around the clock every 12 seconds. If we play our sound every time we pass over a number now, we have created a pretty standard Euclidean rhythm. You might thing this is kinda boring, however, once you start adding multiple Euclidean rhythms playing with different numbers of beats but the same period, things start getting kinda crazy!

Welcome to the World of Polyrhythms!

I am going to start referencing stuff a lot more than explaining, as the things people have done with polyrhythms are pretty awesome:

What my Plans are going forward:

The centerpiece of the Max for Live plugin/patch is going to be Euclidean rhythms. I’m really happy that I have a direction and I’m excited to move forward with this idea.  I’ve watched a lot of Max 8 tutorials and Max for Live plugin examples that people have made. Also, prototyping my ideas:

  • I want it to be able to take in samples (such as kicks, drones, etc.), randomize the samples into different orders/channels to create a random polyrhythm based on the user’s set parameters (see the second bullet point above).
  • This is idea is like a combination of last week’s side note video i posted, and the second bullet point.
  • Ultimately, I want my final project to be very visual and easy to work with.


  • getting over my fear of code. 🙂 hahahahhhhaaaaaaahahaha i’m working on it.
  • i feel like that is a fake blocker so just ignore that.

you’re welcome for the info dump, enjoy!

Week 5 (2/10/2020)

What I Did this Week:

This week I worked a lot of watching/finding tutorials that relate to my Max patch idea. And I think that I’ve made a lot of progress in this search. Some good references:

  • dude837 – Sam is one of the contributors of the Tiramisu plug-in (see above) and he has a video where he goes through all of the patches and logic for the plug-in. He also has a playlist of “Delicious Tutorials” that I’ve also been watching. I found one that I think might be very applicable.
  • dearjohnreed – John goes through the basics of Max 8 and I’ve been watching these to gain a very basic understanding of what’s going on. He goes very slowly and he’s pretty thorough, so I played the videos at 1.5x speed and I’m following along.

Some personal updates:

  • Some hand-drawn brainstorming/ideas:


  • I figured out how to make a buffer! And I was able to load in a sample and then play it! I did it in two different ways thanks to one of John’s Tutorials and one from the Max documentation reference!
Option 1: Uses “play~” from John
Option 2: Uses “groove~” from MSP Ref
MSP Reference/Documentation

What my Plans are for Next Week:

  • I think in order to load in multiple samples I need to use a “polybuffer~” so I’m going to work on figuring that out.
Max Help


Create your website at
Get started